RELiZORB Set-Up and Use
Setting up and using RELiZORB is easy. Just follow the steps below.
- Set up the pump and feed set per the pump manufacturer’s instructions. Prime the feed set per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Remove the RELiZORB from its pouch. Examine the RELiZORB. Do not use the RELiZORB if:
- Pouch seal is broken
- RELiZORB is damaged
- RELiZORB has been previously used
- Secure the RELiZORB to the end of the feed set tubing by inserting the outlet fitting from the pump tubing into the inlet of the RELiZORB with a twisting motion until secure.
FIGURE 1: Securing RELiZORB inlet to outlet fitting from pump tubing.
- Follow the pump manufacturer’s instructions to prime the feeding formula through to the outlet of the RELiZORB.
- Connect the RELiZORB outlet fitting to the inlet fitting of the pump extension set that connects to the patient.
FIGURE 2: Connecting RELiZORB outlet to inlet fitting of tube that connects to patient.
- Follow the pump manufacturer’s instructions to prime the feeding formula to the end of the pump extension set.
- Set the pump to the prescribed flow rate between 24 and 120 mL/hr and proceed with feeding.
WARNING: If medications, saline flushes or other non-enteral formula materials are to be added, they must be introduced AFTER RELiZORB (i.e. between RELiZORB and the patient). They may be added to the side-port of a Y-connector extension set located between RELiZORB and the patient as shown below.
FIGURE 3: Medications may be added between RELiZORB and patient.
NOTE: If medications or flush solutions are added BEFORE the RELiZORB cartridge, then RELiZORB, all tubing and formula must be discarded. You may re-start feeding using a new RELiZORB and feeding set. Please follow Steps 1-7 above to re-start the process.
NOTE: If a second RELiZORB is required to be installed to replace an existing RELiZORB, use the following steps:
- Pause the pump following the pump manufacturer’s instructions
- Disconnect the current RELiZORB from the pump extension set
- Remove the current RELiZORB from the pump feed set
- Connect the new RELiZORB to the pump feed set following Step 3 above
- Prime the enteral formula through to the end of the RELiZORB following Step 4 above
- Connect the new RELiZORB to the pump extension set following Step 5 above
- Follow Step 7 above to re-start enteral formula delivery